It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Tuesday, November 8, 2005

The Pope was Jewish says Historian

A MANCHESTER historian has claimed that Pope John Paul II was Jewish.

Yaakov Wise says his study into the the maternal ancestry of Karol Josez Wojtyla (John Paul II's real name) has revealed startling conclusions.

Mr Wise, a researcher in orthodox Jewish history and philosophy, said the late Pope's mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all probably Jewish and came from a small town not far from Krakow.

The Pope was a priest and cardinal archbishop in the Polish city before his election to the papacy....
{Read Full Story Here}

If it's true, it does explain a lot of things, and I have always had my suspicions. Not that I'm an expert, but upon reading biographies on John Paul the Great, it always seemed that there were little hints dropped here and there. His mother died while he was very young. So he was fully assimilated into Polish Catholic culture, because his father was an ethnic Pole. However, Jewish ethnicity is officially determined by maternal heritage, and his family seemed to have lots of ties to Polish Jews in the area he grew up. Though none of the biographies I've read have blatantly said he was Jewish, the consistent theme of Jewish involvement with his family is of peculiar interest.

If it's true, John Paul the Great wouldn't have been the first Jewish pope in history. Of course, St. Peter (the first pope) was Jewish, as were his immediate successors -- Linus and Clement. It has been alleged by some historians that the first ten popes were of Jewish lineage. Some say we've had as many as twenty Jewish popes over the last 2,000 years.