It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Study Shows Most News Media is Leftist and Biased

Yet one more reason why you CAN'T trust the mainstream media...

All Major U.S. Media Lean Left Except Fox News and Washington Times, UCLA Study Finds

WASHINGTON, DC, December 19, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - While the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal is conservative, the newspaper's news pages are liberal, even more liberal than The New York Times. The Drudge Report may have a right-wing reputation, but it leans left. Coverage by public television and radio is conservative compared to the rest of the mainstream media. Meanwhile, almost all major media outlets tilt to the left.

These are just a few of the findings from a UCLA-led study, which is believed to be the first successful attempt at objectively quantifying bias in a range of media outlets and ranking them accordingly.

Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.

Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.

"I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are."

read full story here

I would have to say that those who rely on mainstream networks, and national newspapers, are probably the most poorly informed people in the country. They might do better just reading the supermarket tabloids alone. I don't get my news from the television anymore. I haven't for years. I don't watch any of the alphabet network news (ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, etc.), nor do I even watch Fox News Channel, though I hear that's supposedly better than the rest. I haven't read any of the major newspapers in years. Though I do occasionally use USA Today for rapping fish before I store it in the freezer. The last time my local newspaper called me for a subscription, I told them I didn't need one because my puppy is house-broken and my bird is dead. That about sums up the respect I have for the mainstream media.

I do occasionally listen to some news radio, such as NPR, as well as some radio talk shows, such as Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Neal Bortz. All of these will give a much more detailed version of events, and at least the conservative bias is openly admitted by the talk show hosts. So you know what you're getting in advance. Beyond that, about the only place to get accurate news is from the Internet. I have about two-dozen sources I check, along with a few blogs. I do my best to share some of those stories with you here. Americans would be doing themselves a huge favor if they would just stop watching all those alphabet networks and reading those liberal rags they call "newspapers." Being informed these days requires personal initiative. Surf the Internet for news sites not affiliated with any major media outlet, and start reading some blogs. Then start listening to NPR and AM talk radio. I guarantee, within a matter of days, you'll probably be one of the most well-informed people in your neighborhood, and at the workplace.