It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Monday, January 23, 2006

Tax-dollars to Catholic Schools?

Hurricane aid: Catholic schools getting portion of federal help

By Carol Zimmermann
Catholic News Service

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- There were times during the congressional hearings on hurricane school aid that Catholic school officials thought they would walk away empty-handed.

But after months of debate and fine-tuning of the legislative proposals, Congress ended up giving Catholic schools damaged by hurricanes Katrina and Rita or inundated with evacuee students the green light to request a percentage of the federal help offered to public schools. Read more here.


In light of the Blaine amendment discussions, I suppose it is possible for the Congress to approve monies to private schools. Apparently, public education will not crumble under such a blow. If you look at it another way, it was these Catholic schools that alleviated the pressure on the public schools. Once again, the private school systems outperform the public ones.