It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Former Democratic Chairman asks: "Can you be Catholic and a Democrat?"

...So, what is keeping Catholics in the Democratic party, and can they still reconcile their beliefs with the party line?

Carlin said that for the most part Catholics have simply not sat down and connected the dots. They refuse to recognize that Roosevelt and civil rights Democrats no longer have power and that the party has left them.

He also noted that this realization could have happened long ago if there was better clerical leadership, guiding the Catholic conscience a bit more.

As it is, much of the party’s traditional base is slowly eroding, he said. And as Catholics and Black Christians continue to recognize that being a Democrat is not what it used to be, the party will find it more and more difficult to win elections...

read full story here