It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Drudge Reporting Chaos on Capitol Hill

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: So far, this is the best news I've heard all year...

DrudgeReport (3-22-2007; 7pm Central Time)...

Dem leadership pulls DC voting bill from floor; conservative Dems were supporting DC gun repeal...
Leader Hoyer seen yelling at staff on floor...
Speaker Pelosi absent because she is desperately searching for Iraq supplemental votes...
Holmes-Norton standing silently in disbelief..

THE HOUSE IN DISARRAY


So I was talking with a good friend the other day about politics. He was really worried about "those Democrats" being in power now. I assured him he need not worry about "those Democrats" at all. It's the Republicans we've got to watch out for. Knowing what a conservative fellow I am, he looked at me puzzled. I went on to explain that the new Democratic Party has become nothing more than a loose coalition of extremists who can't agree on anything other than they hate Bush. I told him we could expect the Democrats to propose every radical piece of legislation imaginable under the sun, and we could also expect very little (if any) to pass. I asked him to look back on the last couple months and tell me what legislation the Democrats actually passed since they took power in January. He shrugged his shoulders and responded with one word -- "nothing." "That's right," I said "nothing at all!" I expect we'll be getting a whole lot more of that in the year ahead -- nothing. You see, the new Democratic Party can't get anything done because they don't have anything in common. Too many Democratic congressmen are now indebted to extremist groups, who want legislation that doesn't stand a chance of passing. Even better, if the Republicans play their hand right, as they did today with the DC gun repeal, Congress could be completely gridlocked for the next two years with no chance of anything getting through. Then of course, you've got the President, with his veto powers, and a Democratic majority too thin to override it. So there you have it folks. The new Democratic Congress will get nothing done, because it can't get anything done. They're extremists constituents won't let them.

Now there is one thing all of these extremists can unite on, which was the one thing that drove them to power in the first place. They could reunite on the antiwar and "hate Bush" campaign, to cut troop funding and pursue impeachment. In the end, I think they will have to at least try this, or else they won't have anything else to take home and boast about to their extremists constituents in 2008. So I'm absolutely sure we'll see an impeachment vote sometime within the next year. What I don't know is how successful it will be, and even if it is successful, I highly doubt the Senate will remove him. So there it is. The most you'll get out of this Congress is gridlock, vetos and a great big 'show trial' -- probably without any results.

On the other hand, I was telling my friend it's "those Republicans" you really gotta watch for three main reasons. First, they are probably going to retake the House and Senate within four years, and once in power, they know how to get stuff done. Second, what they get done is usually a watered-down version of what the Democrats wanted. Remember, it was under a Republican Congress, and a Republican President, that the size and spending of government actually increased over the last seven years. Don't kid yourself, Democrats wanted the same thing, just on a bigger scale. Third and finally, a good number of Republicans (not all but many) have a reputation of playing 'political football' with key conservative issues, such as abortion and homosexuality. In other words, a good number of Republicans will promise the moon to their conservative base, but once they get in power, the moon is quickly forgotten. Occasionally, the proverbial "bone" is thrown at the conservative base to "chew" on, but no real change happens. The Republicans had control of Congress for twelve years, and during that time, how many new bills were passed restricting abortion in this country? None. What became of the Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage? Who knows? It never got the votes. My point here is that Republicans have gotten squishy, while simultaneously the Democrats have gone crazy. It's not the looneys you have to worry about, but rather the sane folks who are willing to compromise with them.