It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Photo of Motu Proprio Meeting

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: Above is a photograph originally posted on Cardinal Seán O'Malley's Personal Blog. It was taken after the much publicized Motu Proprio meeting in Rome earlier this week. That's Missouri's Archbishop Raymond Burke on the far left. Cardinal O'Malley writes the following about it...
From Cleveland I flew to Rome at the request of Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone to participate in a meeting discussing the Holy Father’s Moto Proprio about the use of the older form of the Latin Mass. There were about 25 bishops there, including the president of Ecclesia Dei Cardinal Darío Castrillón Hoyos, the prefect of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments Cardinal Francis Arinze, several heads of bishops’ conferences as well as some cardinals and other residential bishops.

They shared with us the Moto Proprio and the Holy Father’s letter explaining it. We also had an opportunity to read the Latin document. We each commented on that, and then the Holy Father came in and shared some of his thoughts with us. The Holy Father is obviously most concerned about trying to bring about reconciliation in the Church. There are about 600,000 Catholics who are participating in the liturgies of the Society of St. Pius X, along with about 400 priest.

The Holy Father was very clear that the ordinary form of celebrating the Mass will be the new rite, the Norvus Ordo. But by making the Latin Mass more available, the Holy Father is hoping to convince those disaffected Catholics that it is time for them to return to full union with the Catholic Church.

So the Holy Father’s motivation for this decision is pastoral. He does not want this to be seen as establishing two different Roman Rites, but rather one Roman Rite celebrated with different forms. The Moto Propio is his latest attempt at reconciliation.

He goes on to make some comments that are really quite amusing. He speculates that desire for the Tridentine mass is low in the United States, and he doesn't expect the Motu Proprio to effect much change in the American Church. I guess we'll soon see about that. In my own personal experience, I have met dozens upon dozens of Catholics who desire to see a return of the Tridentine mass, and would regularly attend one if it were made available to them. Since I can safely assume that my sphere of Catholic friends is much smaller than Cardinal O'Malley's, I would venture to say he probably knows a lot more who feel this way than he realizes.