It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Huckabee On Catholic Social Justice - Education

The Pope's 3 Principles On Catholic Voting

  1. "protection of life in all its stages, from the first moment of conception to natural death";
  2. "recognition and promotion of the natural structure of the family -- as a union between a man and a woman based on marriage -- and its defense from attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different forms of union which in reality harm it and contribute to its de-stabilization, obscuring its particular character and its irreplaceable social role";
  3. and "the protection of the right of parents to educate their children."
Part 3, Section 2, Chapter 2, Article 4, SubSection 3, Heading 2

2229 As those first responsible for the education of their children, parents have the right to choose a school for them which corresponds to their own convictions. This right is fundamental. As far as possible parents have the duty of choosing schools that will best help them in their task as Christian educators. 38 Public authorities have the duty of guaranteeing this parental right and of ensuring the concrete conditions for its exercise.

From the Huckabee 4 President Official Website
  • I believe that every child should have the opportunity for a quality education that teaches the fundamental skills needed to compete in a global economy.
  • Music and the arts are not extraneous, extra-curricular, or expendable - I believe they are essential. I want to provide every child these "Weapons of Mass Instruction."
  • Our future economy depends on a creative generation.
  • We need to judge the success of our schools by the results we obtain, not the revenue we spend.
  • Test scores rose dramatically when I was Governor of Arkansas because of my education reforms.
  • I have been a strong, consistent supporter of the rights of parents to home school their children, of creating more charter schools, and of public school choice.
  • We need a clear distinction between federal and state roles in education. While there is value in the "No Child Left Behind" law's effort to set high standards, states must be allowed to develop their own benchmarks.