THE CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- "protection of life in all its stages, from the first moment of conception to natural death";
- "recognition and promotion of the natural structure of the family -- as a union between a man and a woman based on marriage -- and its defense from attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different forms of union which in reality harm it and contribute to its de-stabilization, obscuring its particular character and its irreplaceable social role";
- and "the protection of the right of parents to educate their children."
Part 3, Section 2, Chapter 2, Article 4, SubSection 3, Heading 2From the Huckabee 4 President Official Website
2229 As those first responsible for the education of their children, parents have the right to choose a school for them which corresponds to their own convictions. This right is fundamental. As far as possible parents have the duty of choosing schools that will best help them in their task as Christian educators. 38 Public authorities have the duty of guaranteeing this parental right and of ensuring the concrete conditions for its exercise.
- I believe that every child should have the opportunity for a quality education that teaches the fundamental skills needed to compete in a global economy.
- Music and the arts are not extraneous, extra-curricular, or expendable - I believe they are essential. I want to provide every child these "Weapons of Mass Instruction."
- Our future economy depends on a creative generation.
- We need to judge the success of our schools by the results we obtain, not the revenue we spend.
- Test scores rose dramatically when I was Governor of Arkansas because of my education reforms.
- I have been a strong, consistent supporter of the rights of parents to home school their children, of creating more charter schools, and of public school choice.
- We need a clear distinction between federal and state roles in education. While there is value in the "No Child Left Behind" law's effort to set high standards, states must be allowed to develop their own benchmarks.