It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

OFFICIAL FROM ROME: Catholics May Receive Communion Kneeling and On The Tongue


THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: Cardinal Arinze explains that faithful Catholics need not fear, nor do they need to obey the United States Bishops on the regulations concerning how to receive communion. Currently, the U.S. Bishops have legislated that the "normative way" for Catholics to receive communion is in the hand while standing. The official word from Rome is this...
  1. Bishop conferences do have the authority to legislate "normative ways" for receiving communion.
  2. But the lay faithful are not obligated to obey them if they don't want to.
  3. Lay faithful may receive communion in the hand or on the tongue, and they may do so while standing or kneeling.
  4. No priest or bishop has the authority to deny communion to anyone based on the way they choose to receive communion.
With that in mind I tried something.  Last Sunday I attended mass at one of the most liberal parishes in town.  There I proceeded to the front of the communion line, knelt down, and opened my mouth.  Guess what!  The priest placed the host on my tongue without reservation.  I got up, crossed myself, and moved back to my pew seat were I knelt for the remainder of the time, until the priest gave the call "let us pray."  There was nothing unusual about it.  Nobody made a fuss, and the amount of looks and attention I received was barely noticeable.  It's as if it was no big deal at all.

The point I'm trying to make here is this.  If you're afraid to do things the "old fashioned way" (such as kneel, receive communion on the tongue, or wear a chapel veil), the only thing stopping you is yourself.  Your limitations are constructs of your own mind.  Granted, you may not have put them there.  They may be the product of 40 years of bullying by liberal modernists in the Church, but they are just mental constructs none the less.  They're as easy to overcome as just ignoring them.  I did.  I did it in the most liberal parish in town, and it worked just fine.  Maybe you should give it a try too. In addition to that, it's nice to know the Vatican backs you on things such as this.