It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Velvet Backhand

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: Pope Benedict XVI just recently gave the European Parliament what I can only call "the velvet backhand." By that I mean the polite and gentle way a pope completely snubs an institution. I can hardly blame him really. The European Parliament had this coming for quite some time...
(Times Online) - The Pope has rejected an invitation to address the European Parliament, amid Vatican alarm at what is seen as a drift towards militant secularism.

A letter from the Vatican said that he was declining the request to speak to MEPs owing to other commitments and his age, The Times has learnt. The rejection came soon after the Pope agreed to spend his 81st birthday visiting President Bush and as his tour of Australia was ending. The Parliament, which wanted the Pope to be principal Christian guest in its Year of Intercultural Dialogue, may resort to a less well-known Eastern Orthodox leader.

The Vatican has favoured the White House as a reward for Mr Bush’s acclamation of faith in God and help for antiabortion causes.

At a Mass held at a racecourse in Sydney yesterday the Pope, who has been celebrating Catholic World Youth Day, told 400,000 worshippers that in many societies, “side by side with material prosperity, a spiritual desert is spreading: an interior emptiness, a quiet sense of despair”....

read full story here