THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: Barack Hussein Obama says he was a "community organizer" before he entered politics. Republicans poked fun at that line for weeks, but exactly what did he mean by community organizer? In all probability, Obama was referring to his alliance with the Association Of Community Organization For Reform Now (or A.C.O.R.N.). ACORN is a radical leftist organization that is currently under investigation by the federal government for illegal activities. Here is a little history...
(Wikipedia) - In some locations, ACORN employees have submitted false voter registration forms rather than obtaining registrations from actual eligible voters.It should be noted that the "Community Reinvestment Act" (which ACORN supports) is the instrument primarily responsible for the financial collapse our economy currently suffers from (read more here), and is the law which allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to issue so many sub-prime mortgages. Though this despicable organization is registered as 501(c)(3) not-for-profit tax exempt status, it regularly engages in hyper-partisan political activity, all pro-Democrat and anti-Republican (see video here). But if that were not bad enough, a portion of our Catholic tithe went to this organization, via the support of the U.S. Catholic Bishops in 2007...
...Sol Stern characterizes ACORN's opposition to free trade, their support for price controls, and for the Community Reinvestment Act, as in line with the left wing of the Democratic Party, and claims they sometimes opt for "undisguised authoritarian socialism." Stanley Kurtz argues in National Review that "ACORN’s living-wage campaigns drive businesses out of the very neighborhoods where jobs are needed most. ACORN’s opposition to welfare reform only threatens to worsen the self-reinforcing cycle of urban poverty and family breakdown."...
- In Ohio in 2004, four ACORN employees were indicted by a federal grand jury for submitting false voter registration forms.
- In January 2005 two Colorado ACORN workers were sentenced to community service for submitting false voter registrations. ACORN's regional director said, "we find it abhorrent and do everything we can to prevent it from happening."
- On November 1, 2006, four part-time ACORN employees were indicted in Kansas City, Missouri for voter registration fraud. Prosecutors said the indictments are part of a national investigation. ACORN said in a press release that it is in part responsible in these individuals being caught, has fired them, and has cooperated and publicly supported efforts to look into the validity of the allegations.
- ACORN was investigated in 2006 for submitting false voter registrations in St. Louis, Missouri. 1,492 fraudulent voter registrations were identified.
- In 2007, five Washington state ACORN workers were sentenced to jail time. ACORN agreed to pay King County $25 000 for its investigative costs and acknowledged that the national organization could be subject to criminal prosecution if fraud occurs again. According to King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg, the misconduct was done "as an easy way to get paid [by ACORN], not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections."
- In 2008, the Michigan Secretary of State office told the Detroit Free Press that ACORN had been submitting a sizable number of duplicate and fraudulent applications to vote. Oak Park town clerk Sandra Gadd said they have been seeing "lots of duplication from ACORN in recent months [...] They've been very cooperative [...] and they're willing to go door-to-door to do whatever they have to do to take care of this."
- State authorities in Nevada raided ACORN's offices in Las Vegas in 2008, alleging that its canvassers produced forms with false names, fictional addresses, or famous personalities. Neither ACORN nor any employees, however, have been charged with fraud or other crimes.
- October 8, 2008, Missouri officials announced an investigation into alleged voter fraud concerning some ACORN registered names. Some names were listed multiple times, had fake/missing addresses, no drivers licenses, bad social security numbers, etc.
...ACORN endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama during the 2008 Democratic Presidential Primary. Obama paid ACORN $800,000 for "get-out-the-vote" projects for Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
(InsideCatholic.com) - The Catholic Campaign for Human Development gave $1.1 million to ACORN in 2007. You can find this fact on the CCHD website. If you add up all the groups called ACORN or Association Of Community Organization For Reform Now, you get a total of $1,111,000 in 2007....Does this outrage you? It should. ACORN is involved in the very activities the Vatican condemns as socialist and contrary to the gospel of Jesus Christ. So the U.S. Catholic Bishops effectively gave a million dollars to an essentially anti-Catholic organization, by virtue of the fact that it supports everything the Catholic Church opposes. Was it incompetence on our bishop's part, or something more sinister? Could the USCCB be dealing with the Church's enemies under the table? Is the USCCB secretly trying to subvert the Vatican by promoting the organizations spawned by "Liberation Theology?" Who's in change at the USCCB? Why are they supporting the Catholic Church's enemies?
read full story here
UPDATE 10/20/08: Good News! It looks like our complaints have been heard. The Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) has just suspended funding of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) following reports of embezzlement, according to CCHD executive director Ralph McCloud... read more here