It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Monday, July 6, 2009

Is It A Sin To Send My Kids To Public School?

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: "Is it a sin to send my kids to public school?" That's the question many Christian parents are forced to ask themselves regarding their child's education. In a word, I believe the answer is "yes" in most cases. There are very rare circumstances that would morally and spiritually justify the decision of Christian parents to send their children to public school. The reasons why Christian parents shouldn't send their children to public school are self evident, and I need not rehearse them here. Instead, I'll point out the very few reasons why Christian parents would be justified for sending their children to public school. Basically, if ALL of the four conditions listed below exist, then you (as a Christian parent) would be morally and spiritually justified in sending your children to public school...
  1. There is no private school anywhere near your immediate area, or there is a private school, but there is no way of receiving any kind of scholarship or financial aid to send your children there if you cannot afford it.
  2. There is no Christian church (anywhere near you) that will help you homeschool your children or assist you financially if you cannot afford to send your children to private school.
  3. There is no immediate family member (nearby) that will help you homeschool your children, or help you financially if you cannot afford to send your children to private school.
  4. There is no way you can afford private school, no matter how much you sacrifice, and/or there is no way you (or your spouse) can afford to stay home from work to homeschool no matter how much you sacrifice.
If all of these conditions exist, then it certainly would be morally and spiritually justifiable to send your children to a public school, but I would have to say that these above conditions probably only exist for less than 20% of Christian parents at most, and that's being generous. As for the remaining 80% of Christian parents, there is really no excuse at all.
(WND) - A slew of research shows that America is losing the conservative Christian youth in massive droves. These studies show a generation being increasingly won over to a socialistic/secular-humanistic worldview in spite of the American church increasing their apologetic courses, children's programs, youth rallies and books and sermon series on child training.

What is happening? Could it be that we are doing something wrong? I would make the case that we are blatantly sinning in sending our kids to places that are, in fact, causing them to fall away. Let me lay out the case in three simple points.

1. Does the Bible make it clear that causing another to "stumble or fall away" in their faith-walk is wrong – a sin?

Matthew 18:5-7: "But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin [stumble], it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."

1 Corinthians 8:9-13: "But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. ..."

2 Corinthians 6:3: "We put no obstacle in anyone's way, so that no fault may be found with our ministry."

Romans 14:13-21: ".... but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. ... It is good not ... [to] do anything that causes your brother to stumble, or be hindered or be weakened."

The above verses are crystal clear on this topic...

read full story here