It's official. The Catholic Knight is retired.  I'm hanging up the helmet and passing the torch. There will be no more articles, no more commentaries, no more calls to action. THIS BLOG IS CLOSED. I've spent a very long time thinking about this, I believe the time has come, and is a bit overdue.  I want to thank my readers for everything, but most especially for your encouragement and your willingness to go out there and fight the good fight. So, that being the case, I've spend the last several weeks looking for bloggers who are fairly active, and best represent something akin to the way I think and what I believe.  I recommend the following blogs for my readers to bookmark and check on regularly. Pick one as your favourite, or pick them all. They are all great..... In His Majesty's Service, THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New Statistics Show US Episcopal Church Is Crumbling

THE CATHOLIC KNIGHT: The numbers don't lie. The Episcopal Church in the United States is crumbling. As many as a third of all U.S. Episcopal parishes will be closed within 5 years....
(Virtue Online) - A month long investigation by Virtueonline into the numerical state of The Episcopal Church reveals that more than one third of all 6825 Episcopal parishes in the U.S. have an average Sunday attendance (ASA) of 40 or less.

VOL believes that the figure of 2.3 million Episcopalians, regularly stated by TEC leaders and officials, does not reveal the true state of church attendance. More than two-thirds of this figure have either died, left the church, or attend twice a year, along with tens of thousands still on church rolls who have never been (and should be) removed. The only true standard to gauge the Episcopal Church’s health is Average Sunday Attendance (ASA).

The study undertaken by VOL staff reveals a church in sharp decline with 2219 churches having congregations of aging parishioners in their mid 60s with little or no chance of turnaround in the foreseeable future. There are virtually no young people coming forward to fill the gap. Those being trained in TEC’s liberal seminaries will have no message that is discernibly different from the prevailing culture.

What this foreshadows is that within the next 3 to 5 years more than 2,000 churches across the country will be forced to close, merge or be sold regardless of cash reserves or endowment because there will simply not be enough people in them to keep the doors open. Hundreds of clergy will be forced into early retirement; many will have to take secondary employment in an attempt to keep the doors open to a handful of aging congregants....

read full story here
There are lessons to be learned from this.  The U.S. Episcopal Church is a socially liberal organization, and probably the most liberal of all the Anglican bodies worldwide.  It's message is virtually indistinguishable from popular liberalism espoused at universities and by mainstream media elites.  In other words...
  1. Liberalism and Christianity don't mix.
  2. Liberalism guts Christianity and leaves it empty.
  3. Those parishes that embrace Liberalism will consign themselves to empty pews and eventual parish closure.
The debate has long since been over.  The statistics speak for themselves.  U.S. Catholics would be wise to take heed.  For if Catholic parishes, priests and bishops adopt the same social Liberal stand as the Episcopal Church, than our fate will be the same.

Please pass this article on to all Catholics, especially those with a "liberal" point of view.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Religion is about character development. What is there in liberalism about character development? what does denigration of masculinity and femininity, and promotion of gender neutrality and homosexuality, have anything to do with character development? The TEC has no mark of a religion but rather a PC academic club.

The true spirit of Vatican II was to take away the fear and guilt excesses of wrongful religious practice; we were not meant to be good just to avoid hell for example. V2 was not supposed to abolish Catholicism itself. The hippie generation did us no favors by diluting traditional religion and replacing it with secular PC dogma.

Confederate Papist said...

Many of the conservative minded Anglicans are crossing the Tiber....good for us....not for them!!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps rooting out the liberal churches with their liberal priests isn't such a bad thing. The less active liberal priests the better. The only real loss I can see is if truly devout Catholics attending those churches have no where else to go. This is one more reason we need the Latin Mass back. Good for separating the devout from the liberals.
It's funny that some people think removing priest celibacy and allowing priests to marry will actually prevent churches closing down by bringing more people to Sunday mass. What a joke.

Anonymous said...

In marketing we call this "brand confusion." In the 1980's Coke changed its formula to taste more like Pepsi and the New Coke was a huge failure b/c those that liked Pepsi continued to like Pepsi and those that liked the original Coke became alienated.

It's the same with Churches. Those that don't like religion will continue not liking it and those that do will become alienated when religion morphs into secular humanism. Once again the 60's idealism demonstrates it was misguided and narcissistic.

Jonathan Prester said...

Years ago, I used to hope for a return of Lutheranism to Rome. (My family has been Lutheran since Luther, and taught me to love Christ, orthodoxy, and the Sacraments.) I would smile when a Boston priest would tell me, good naturedly, that "there's the Dominicans, the Franciscans, and the Lutherans," or that conservative Lutherans are "just like us, but you can get married if you have a bad day." Indeed, I prayed that one day Lutherans would return to Rome as a tradition within the greater Catholic Church.

At some point, however, I realized that it would be a point of the tradition's survival. "In 500 years," I now tell people, "there won't be Presbyterians or Lutherans or Episcopalians, but there will still be a Pope on St. Peter's throne." Thank God for the Anglican Ordinariate! While many talk about ecumenism enthusiastically, Catholicism actually lives it. I look forward to coming home.

Erika Evans said...

I am a Lutheran, unfortunately stuck for a variety of reasons in the ELCA, and I can see us heading down the same road. The liberalism is really out of control and parishioners/congregations have been leaving in droves.

The Missouri Synod still has its head on straight, however, thanks be to God.

Fr William E Bauer TFSC PhD said...

I think my first sermon as a Roman catholic Priest will be about abortion.

Svar said...

Catholic Knight, are you no longer a Monarchist? I've noticed that your about page has changed.

The Catholic Knight said...

I am still a monarchist at heart, but I have come to the realization that monarchy is a default form of human government, and one will not be established on this continent until everything falls apart, the chastisement of God has come, and the Great Monarch in Europe has arrived. Attempting to establish a constitutional monarchy before then is futile. So we must wait. In the mean time, I do believe we can aim for a more civil republic, and I think this can be done by allowing for the inevitable breakup of the United States as we know it.

Svar said...

I see. Well, I also live in the South(Texas) and I do have some sympathy towards the Southern Cause the way you describe it and I love Southerners and many of my social and cultural views line up with theirs, but Southerners are Classical Liberals and I'm a Classical Conservative. I aline more so politically with the Red Tories of Canada and the Monarchist Revivalist/Counter-Enlightenment groups in Europe and Latin America. I just don't feel that a Republic can work. Liberalism fails, including that of the Classical kind. However, I do think that it is a good idea for Dixie to leave this wretched union, but I lean more towards neutrality than pro-Dixie.

You say you prefer a Constitutional Monarchy. I do as well, but I feel that it would be best for the Constitutional Monarchy to be a single-party state with the Tories/Loyalists/Monarchists being the sole party. What do you say about this?

Vive le Roi!!

The Catholic Knight said...

Well I think a single party system would be ideal but the problem is people are people. You can almost never get everybody to agree on everything all the time. That's why monarchy is the best system of government because he can override all parties when he needs to and the well being of the country is at stake. But when it's not a critical matter, there should be room for people to vent and tell their side of things. I don't like political parties, but I don't think they are inherently evil in and of themselves. The problem is that big money gets too intertwined with them, and when that happens it increases corruption of both the parties and the system itself. Parties should be well regulated and self-funded by small donations. People should have to pay to be members of them, and big money from big business should be kept out. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Ulysses said...

I'm a member of a growing Episcopal parish. It's all orthodoxy and no secular liberal mushiness. I wonder how much longer churches like mine will allow the failures at the top to run the show.

I appreciate how the RCC hasn't allowed the Baby Boomer locusts to infiltrate its ranks. As with all churches you face challenges, but those challenges aren't related to getting caught up in the Kingdom of Caesar.

Paulr said...

Catholic Knight, thank you for this informative post.I've always believes Liberalism was the religion of the secular world, as paradoxical as that sounds.Our Church has been under assault for centuries but recently with this wave of liberalism, even I was surprised that our growth has remained steady, and other parts of the world even increased. I know my faith has gotten stronger when I see our Church standing up against being forced to accept social issues that go against everything we believe in.I remind my fellow Catholics all the time, do not stray from our truths, it will endure, and so will this Church as Jesus promised.